Chris McCarty's Extreme Fitness with P90X!

Look at the photo to the far left.   I was that person for 10 years.   I am changing all that now.   I do not contend to have ALL the answers, but from what I have learned about fitness and nutrition over the past year, I know that I can help you.   Are you ready to change that person you see in the mirror?   If so: 

Monday, April 7, 2008

Post-Workout Recovery Drink . . . Is it really necessary??

Well . . . the long and short of it is YES.    I want to be as transparent here as possible.   This is NOT a ploy to get you to buy the P90X Recovery Drink.   If you have your own recipe (possibly orange juice & whey protein powder in the right ratio) and it works, that is great - just as long as you do it and it has the proper "simple" carb to protein ratio.   Many people believe they should have a "protein shake" after a workout.  This is not true.  You need a blend of simple carbs & protein in a ratio that is about 4:1.   Why do I use the P90X Recovery Drink?  I happen to think that the P90X recovery drink, when blended with ice tastes exactly like an orange push-up from when we were kids.  Or an orange dreamcycle.  It tastes GREAT!  Believe me, if it did not taste as good as it does, I would not use it.  (perfect example - Team Beachbody also has P90X meal replacement bars and while I think they are good, I think Clif Builder bars taste better, so that is what I use)   Ok, on to the WHY it is important: (This is taken from the P90X drink as an example)

Recover faster and see better results!
This great-tasting shake is specially designed to provide the precise nutrients you need to recover quickly after intense workouts. P90X Results and Recovery Formula offers a unique mix of:

Simple and complex carbohydrates for optimum glycogen replenishment*
A high Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) blend to provide the critical building blocks for rapid muscle resynthesis*
Vitamins, including antioxidants, to help reduce muscle soreness and assist in repair and growth*
Studies show that with proper nutrition during the first hour following a workout you can increase your body's ability to recover more than 100%. The key component to maximizing this "window of opportunity" is a formulation of approximately 4 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein.

So I believe a recovery drink AFTER the extreme workouts is necessary.   I would be happy to answer any further questions about it.  Again, if you can come up with your own creation that is great.  Just make sure you do it to maximize your results and speed up recovery!

Have a great day!

Chris

7 comments:

Krista D. said...

Hi Chris!
I have something similar to the p90x drink called Endurox. I bought it for my running workouts but will start getting the BB ones when it's gone because it's cheaper. It has the same ratio of Carb to protein, though.

Anyway, I just wanted to add one thing that they say on their container is that another benefit that you will have is more energy for your subsequent workout the following day, which I believe to be true. I guess it is kind of common sense, though, that if your muscles recover faster, they will be more ready for action the next day! Good stuff! I know I was sceptical about this stuff at first, but now I am a believer in it! :)

~KD

Chris McCarty said...

KD:

Thank you for adding that! You are absolutely correct. Again, thanks!

Heed MacBeast said...

Hi Chris,

I'm currently on week 1 day 5 of P90X- but as I'm over here in the UK I have to rustle up my own- I just used your advice to make a recovery smoothy with strawberrys, melon, banana, ice and yoghurt using your 4 parts carbs 1 part protien- thanks for the tips!

Keep up the great work!

Ross

Unknown said...

How about 1% chocalate milk instead of p90x recovery drink?

Unknown said...

How does this apply to the 1 carb serving in the fat shredder nutrition plan? If you take a recovery drink each day does that mean you've used up your alloted carbs for the day?

Unknown said...

I've done the Carnation drink (which has a host of other vitamins, and the magical 4:1 ratio) mixed with Whey and a Glutamine/Creatine mix. Skim milk. Great taste, and when all totaled, about 1/6 the cost.

Mark Williams said...

Chris,

I know that this drink contains protein... But I normally do 20 grams of protein right when I wake up in the morning... Is that something I should continue to do?

Jpie - what's your exact recipe for your recovery drink?