Chris McCarty's Extreme Fitness with P90X!

Look at the photo to the far left.   I was that person for 10 years.   I am changing all that now.   I do not contend to have ALL the answers, but from what I have learned about fitness and nutrition over the past year, I know that I can help you.   Are you ready to change that person you see in the mirror?   If so: 

Friday, April 4, 2008

My thoughts on Over-training . . .


I am now on Day 67 of P90X.  It is a VERY intense program in it's own right.  However, in order to attempt to achieve extreme results there are times when more extreme measures are needed.  

But NOT right from the start.  

I just started what we call HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) three times a week.   It is a cardio process of going easy for a couple minutes and then going as hard as you can for 30 to 90 seconds.  Then going easy for another 4 minutes, then hard for a minute, etc.   This process "can" burn up to 9x as much fat.  I am doing this in addition to my P90X workouts and I would suggest you reserve this type of activity until your past the 60 day mark or when you feel  you are becoming very fit.  

I have gotten a chance to know a lot of good people during this process, but some of them are simply over-training, and therefore not seeing great results.  Seems like a paradox doesn't it?  Well not really.  The human body knows how far it will go and if you push it too hard and do not get enough rest, it will hold onto the fat and burn the muscle you are trying to build.   Don't try and out think the program.  When you come to the 7th day and it calls for X Stretch or simply a day off of rest - just do that.  Take the day of rest.  Your body will need it.   No need to feel guilty on your day off or if you're just stretching.   Rest is very important to the whole process. 

P90X actually has a program called "Doubles" in which you do a cardio routine in the morning and the regular workout at night.  Again, I would not suggest this UNLESS you are already in great shape and are looking to see how far you can push yourself.  But, again this process of doing Doubles would also take the strictest of nutrition standards to make sure your body is getting everything it needs to perform correctly.  

First time through, just do the regular "Classic" program.  You'll see great results.  If you want to do some HIIT in the final 30 days, that is fine.  You'll be ready for it by then.   

If you are the least bit out of shape you can STILL do P90X, but don't kill yourself trying to get results too fast or it will lead to over-training and you'll burn yourself out.   Absolutely no problem easing into the program either.   Listen to what your body is telling you. 

To your health,

Chris

No comments: