Chris McCarty's Extreme Fitness with P90X!

Look at the photo to the far left.   I was that person for 10 years.   I am changing all that now.   I do not contend to have ALL the answers, but from what I have learned about fitness and nutrition over the past year, I know that I can help you.   Are you ready to change that person you see in the mirror?   If so: 

Sunday, March 30, 2008

A thought on "Cheat Meals" . . . .

Ok, I am going to work on a post that talks more about the nutrition portion of P90X because it is just as important as the workouts.  In fact, if you decide to do P90X, as part of package you received is a very detailed nutrition guide.  It is VERY easy to follow.  

If you are someone who was like I was, then junk food is a regular part of your diet.   If you commit to P90X (there is that word again) then you must commit to getting rid of the junk food from your life.   A good friend of mine says "Abs are made in the kitchen" . . . 

However, I AM an advocate of a "cheat" meal per week.  If  you love pizza, then have a couple slices once per week.   If you like a rich dessert, then HAVE it once a week.  That is the key - only once a week.  

Don't worry about feeling hungry.  I can almost guarantee that you have never eaten as much food as you will while doing P90X - but it is what we call "clean" food.   Proteins, complex carbs, fruits, veggies, healthy snacks, etc.   But take that ONE meal a week to have whatever you want.  What ever you crave - then have it once a week.

The reason is two fold:

1.  Your metabolism will be ramped up while doing  P90X.  You'll get that fire burning hot and every once and a while it is good to throw a big log on it to make it burn hotter.   In fact, the opposite is true when we gain weight.  Most of us who have struggled with weight have had our metabolisms in almost a cool ember state.  So when you throw a large log (high fat meal) on a cooling ember fire, what does it do?   It just sits there and NEVER burns.   Well, that is why I advocate one cheat meal a week - because your metabolism will be burning very hot.  I call it "diet confusion" - just like the workouts are muscle confusion.  

2.  It will actually help insure that you DO NOT binge.  If you know you can have it "in a couple days", then you will be able to keep the rest of your nutrition good and clean and healthy.  "I get to have my pizza Friday" will allow you to focus on the task at hand.  

Now, the key is to make sure that a cheat meal does not turn into a cheat week and so forth.  

Look at it as a reward to yourself once a week.   Enjoy it and then keep working hard!!  

Chris

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the "cheat meal idea". It means you don't have to give up that "favorite" for the rest of your life - only six days at a time. It will work!

sm1226 said...

I also like the idea,so it doesnt feel like im starving myself.